Jump to content

Jens H. Brandal

Members
  • Content Count

    120
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

112 Excellent

1 Follower

About Jens H. Brandal

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I see sinkmarks along the flaps as well. Given how they are moulded that would be unavoidable, and Airfix are not the only ones who choose such a configuration for control surfaces. Eduard Spits have the same, and eliminating the sink marks over a fabric aileron while preserving raised tape rib detail is almost impossible. Thanks for showing us the build process of this kit. I have seen nothing so far to tempt me into buying it, so my Hasegawa Sabres are safe.
  2. Not quite sure what you mean by "peculiar shape of the wings", but it does look like they have a curve to them - like an airliner full of fuel bound for Tokyo. Aircraft often have aerodynamic and/or geometric twist to the wings to delay the stall at the tips, hence either a different wing profile or the aerofoil has a different incidence from the root - is that it? Given the amount of filling and sanding and that horrible soapy soft plastic, that kit doesn't lend itself to a polished metal finish. Certainly not without a lot of work.
  3. Well, I do hope that Eduard will at some point release a Seafire, or at least a Vc. Then it will be a matter of scribing the wingfold and adding MDC's Seafire conversion set. Been wanting to do a Seafire III in "Mike" Crosley's colours ever since I read the book "They gave me a Seafire". Just noticed that MDC are no longer showing the Seafire conversion kits in their range. Hopefully they will update and release again when/if an Eduard Spitfire Vc makes an appearance.
  4. Thank you chaps. Need to put some decals on the sidewalls and then I'll do another round of pics.
  5. Slow going here, but I can show how I have done the seat and trying to get that splotchy appearance of the plastic seat. First, base painting the pan Saddle Brown and the leather back a matt black. Armed with a selection of oil paints.... ...the seat pans were dotted and left to dry for about an hour. Then they were stippled with a stiff brush moistened with thinner to remove the excess and soften the dots. Doesn't come across very well in this image taken with my mobile phone though. After letting them dry overnight, I brushpainted the back w
  6. Oh yes, the design is fine, but I think the toolmaking is to blame as well. The mouldings aren't as crisp as you'd expect in this day and age, so I think the tools are made to a budget, and that budget doesn't allow for Tamiya fit and finish. With that in mind, the kit designers ought to take that into account, and it seems to me they don't... If you know that you're not going to achieve that perfect fit that your design requires, then you should revise your design so that it is less tolerance sensitive.
  7. True that... I find the fit of the kit generally rather good. Certainly as good as any manufacturer except Tamiya. One problem area I had with the first two was the lower cowling somehow stood proud of the fuselage sides. AFter that, I learned to not glue the lower halves of the forward fuselage until I could offer the lower cowling to ensure a level join. The upper cowling fits well to the fuselage by using the now assembled fuselage as a gauge. It can then be left off until later that allows you to paint the fuselage and exhaust stubs separately and then avoid a tricky masking job
  8. Good point Paul. The slides are small and easy on the sides, and I do tend to see a bit more flash around these features, so a slide moulded cowling would probably lose more detail in cleaning up any steps or misalignment than having the modeller join two easily moulded pieces.
  9. Clean up parts carefully, take your time to dryfit the parts, and you will find it goes together better than any Airfix kit...
  10. I've seen some people finding their resin cowlings either too long or too short, and that's a bigger problem than attending to a seamline:)
  11. In order to incorporate the detail in the wheel well that Eduard has captured, they couldn't have fewer parts considering draft angles and pulling direction of the plastic. The Airfix wheel wells have fewer parts, but they are not as detailed either. Take your time with the wheel wells, and they will fit just fine with only small gaps. I think the different aim of these two manufacturers show in these features. Eduard provides a detailed kit and are not afraid of adding parts to do just that, whereas Airfix (attempt) to make them easier to assemble. Having said that, I don't understand wh
  12. RIP Mel. He certainly looked different, being so well dressed among all the scruffy creatures that tend to be modellers.
  13. I was wrong. The PR.XI could also be fitted with the original small (unfiltered) air intake. Have a look at Barracuda Studios Facebook page. A photo of a PR.XI in US markings - PA944 - featuring the small intake. So a matter of checking references for the aircraft you are making.
×
×
  • Create New...